Tiller for low pressure system?

Discuss nordic grooming operations here.

Tiller for low pressure system?

Postby Hounds on 02 Oct 2010, 08:29

Although I am not new to grooming, I AM new here on this forum and new to the Tucker Sno CAt. Not sure if I should have posted this under equipment or grooming machines?

I have volunteered at a local non for profit association which grooms nordic and snowmobile trails.

We get TONS of Lake Effect snow off Lake Ontario which is almost 80% Air! So, the need to till for Nordic becomes very important. A drag simply traps air pockets and surface becomes punchy.

The association only has a Tucker 1000. As far as I know, it is impossible to get a low-pressure tiller for this machine? OR is it?

If not, they are contemplating making are own compaction device. My idea is that it will only be slightly better than the existing Mogul Master snowmobile drag. ??
Or would a roller be better?

Are there any snowmobile pull-behind tillers that will work ok? If so, do they work better than a Ginzu or YTS?

ANy insight much appreciated. I am trying to get a better nordic trail this year. Currently they are only dragging with the tucker and then going by with a Tidd and setting tracks. Skating lanes are almost non-existent due to the fluff left in the snow and I'm not talking because of the low humidity. It is just nearly impossible without a tiller. ??

thanks
Hounds

Re: Tiller for low pressure system?

Postby cbender on 03 Dec 2010, 11:32

I've got a couple of ideas for you. First off, if you haven't thought of it yet, try track packing a couple of times after a new snow event and allow for as much set-up time as possible. Then go over the track with the roller, again the key being set-up time before skiing. The other idea is related to a tiller for your Tucker. Back in the day, before third pumps were developed for tiller operation, there was a company producing a tiller driven by an independent on-board gas engine. If you could find one of these still in operating condition, that would solve your issue. The other option would be to buy and modify an older tiller to run on a separate power source. The only other option would be to do a fundraiser to replace the Tucker with a tiller capable nordic groomer. The citizens in our little town have raised enough in the last couple of years to do that and now the snowmobilers are doing the same to replace their old cat.
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Re: Tiller for low pressure system?

Postby ward-o on 13 Jul 2014, 20:04

been awhile since your post ,but Alpina makes a small gas engine powered tiller for their twin track snow mobile that may be an option. not many used ones out there yet tho, best of luck :)
ward-o

Return to Nordic Grooming Operations