Jobs for Rookies

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Jobs for Rookies

Postby willwalm on 14 Feb 2013, 04:46

Hi all,

I have been a heavy diesel mechanic and agricultural machinery operator for the last five years, i also have some mining machinery operating experience as well as a good couple of thousand hours behind the controls of a loader shovel, i have worked in various places around the world. I'm sure that none of the machinery I have driven really compares to the skill involved in operating a snowcat, but im coming to the states from the UK in april to work for a harvesting company for the summer season as a truck driver and mechanic. I have a 12 month work visa for the USA and also for Canada from april and i'm really keen to try and get employed for the 2013/14 season anywhere in the USA or Canada, or europe even. obviously i'm used to the long antisocial hours and working a machine on my own. I have always loved the mountains and just thought it would be a fun thing to do for 6 months.

if anyone has any contacts or knows of anywhere they would take on a complete beginner then i would be really grateful for any help or advice.

Cheers Will
willwalm

Re: Jobs for Rookies

Postby infidel on 23 Feb 2013, 23:08

Hi Will,

I started as a complete noob at Mt Hood Meadows Resort in Oregon. I had some experience with running equipment, but you are correct in that snowcats are a whole different animal. I was treated well, and would not hesitate to recommend Meadows for any prospective operators. I hope someone with more experience than myself will contribute to your post as there are a lot of folks here with gobs of knowledge!

I wish you the best of luck with your search!
infidel

Postby willwalm on 28 Feb 2013, 04:26

Cheers Infidel

I will look in to Mt Hood, It looks like a great resort. Do you know if many grooming jobs offer accommodation as well?
willwalm

Postby infidel on 05 Mar 2013, 16:51

I would not know about a resort helping an employee with housing, but it's not out of the realm of possibilities.

Good luck to you.
infidel

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations