Inter departmental discrepancies

Want to chat about lifts? Snowmaking? Patrol? Management practices? Go for it here.

Inter departmental discrepancies

Postby Power Giant on 29 Oct 2008, 11:50

I have been pushing for years to keep Lift Maintenance seperated from Vehicle Maint. I'd actually like them to be in their own building, miles away from the vehicle shop. Has anyone else had so much trouble with Lift Maint?
Or is this an anomaly?

Edit: Moved to Industry Chatter forum by Admin
Power Giant
Mountain/Resort Management

Re: Inter departmental discrepancies

Postby midwestsnopro on 01 Nov 2008, 21:06

I've been moving our resort the opposite direction and combining the departments. We had separate departments which created to much "drama" between supervisors/techs. We still maintain 3 seprate shops, one for vehicles, one for lifts, and one for snowmaking. I have combined the personnel (8 full-time) and their duties to include all areas. However, we are a midwest resort with much less acreage and equipment maintenance demands as Schweister Mtn.

How large is your grooming fleet and type, br or pb? How many vehicle techs are on staff? How many hours are you putting on your groomers annually?
midwestsnopro

Postby Power Giant on 03 Nov 2008, 13:29

midwestsnopro wrote:I've been moving our resort the opposite direction and combining the departments. We had separate departments which created to much "drama" between supervisors/techs. We still maintain 3 seprate shops, one for vehicles, one for lifts, and one for snowmaking. I have combined the personnel (8 full-time) and their duties to include all areas. However, we are a midwest resort with much less acreage and equipment maintenance demands as Schweister Mtn.

How large is your grooming fleet and type, br or pb? How many vehicle techs are on staff? How many hours are you putting on your groomers annually?

We have seven Prinoths, four P.B.'s and one LMC. We have three year round vehicle techs and one seasonal. I haven't figured out the average hours, but we had one BR350 log 2,300 hours in one season,last season.
Power Giant

Postby dmoulton on 05 Dec 2008, 16:59

Generally the combination of departments has also been my experience and preference. Having one guy that is a diesel man service all the APU’s might be a better option than a lift mechanic that does the service once a year. For that matter there may be a Snowmaking mechanic that has far more experience with big diesels.

We still have a separate Lift maintenance department but our vehicle, grooming fleet, snow removal and now Golf mechanics all work under one lead. Overall finding the best efficiencies is the answer however its done.

My 2 cents
dmoulton

Postby Power Giant on 08 Dec 2008, 12:55

I agree with your views 100%. Do you feel that the person in charge of this enlarged department should be primarily an administrator?
Power Giant

Return to General Industry Chatter