Member Introductions

Re: Member Introductions

Postby PB400Fan on 06 Dec 2014, 21:08

BombardierFan wrote:Hey guys! My name's Nathaniel and I live and go to school in Massachusetts. I poke around this forum every once and a while but haven't posted anything yet. I've wanted to become a snowmaker/cat operator for several years now. I'm trying to make myself a more appealing candidate for the job. I've done ride alongs at Killington, VT and Winter Park, CO. I don't have any heavy equipment operating experience but I do landscaping and can run zero turn mowers and will be plowing snow with a utility tractor this winter. I am also learning to weld. If anyone has any other advice for me I would love to know! This is a great forum and I love reading through the threads.

Killington would be a good place to start when you want to get in the operators seat. They run a huge fleet and usually hire a few operators each year. And if you're willing to make snow too, getting in there will be pretty easy.
PB400Fan

Postby BombardierFan on 07 Dec 2014, 13:21

Good to know PB400Fan! I would like to work at Killington. I'm also thinking about Loon in NH. Smaller cat fleet but maybe I could at least make snow there. I know some people who work for Loon and they say they treat employees well.
BombardierFan

Postby Yukon on 01 Feb 2015, 13:40

What's up guys, interesting to see an online forum for snowcat operators!

My name is Walt, and I'm the Grooming Manager at Stratton Mountain, VT. Hope everyone here is having a great season, and I'll see you around the boards :)
Yukon

Postby admin on 01 Feb 2015, 17:33

Yukon wrote:What's up guys, interesting to see an online forum for snowcat operators!

My name is Walt, and I'm the Grooming Manager at Stratton Mountain, VT. Hope everyone here is having a great season, and I'll see you around the boards :)

Welcome the board, Walt! Nice to have you here. Feel free to stir up some interesting discussions. :D
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby ward-o on 10 May 2015, 13:08

Hi all,
My name is Steve Ward, but everyone in the northwest knows me as "Ward-o". I will be starting my 30th season of work for the "Summit at Snoqualmie/Alpental" this year, The Summit's 77th year of operation. Previously I worked here as a lift operator, a parking attdnt., swing shift alpine groomer operator, as Grounds maint. and Brush Crew lead, as Nordic groomer operator, as Nordic Grooming manager, and for the last 10 yrs, ran the maint. shop as the grooming shop manager. Now I help out on the floor as a level IV groomer mechanic/ part time operator.
We currently run 18 grooming vehicles at The Summit/Alpental:
13 Bombardiers & 5 Pisten Bully's; including 3- winches.

I'll Steal a quote here from a good friend and mentor... Chris Nyberg
"when it comes to snow-pack, if it's white? groom it right, if it's blue? ya call your crew? and if it's brown? SHUT IT DOWN".
ward-o

Postby admin on 10 May 2015, 22:50

Great to see your intro, Ward-O! And also nice to see all of your recent contributions. Hopefully things will pick up around here one of these days, and we'll actually see some more engaging discussion!
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby Shenanigans2800 on 31 Jan 2016, 17:44

Wanted to put out a friendly 'hello' to all that are active on this forum. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic with an intense addiction to skiing in the winter months. I work paid ski patrol by day, and a VERY green rookie groomer at night at a small resort in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I make lots of duty trades and use much of my vacation time to make this possible.

Been scouring the internet for as much information as I can to learn some tips, tricks, and get a better understanding on how to groom properly. I'd say this is definitely the best resource that I've found so far, but will take any recommendations!

I've been trained well so far in operating our BR275, however I'm looking to pick up on anything that can make my grooming better!
Dave - Shenanigans2800
Shenanigans2800

Postby admin on 31 Jan 2016, 18:01

Shenanigans2800 wrote:Wanted to put out a friendly 'hello' to all that are active on this forum. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic with an intense addiction to skiing in the winter months. I work paid ski patrol by day, and a VERY green rookie groomer at night at a small resort in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I make lots of duty trades and use much of my vacation time to make this possible.

Been scouring the internet for as much information as I can to learn some tips, tricks, and get a better understanding on how to groom properly. I'd say this is definitely the best resource that I've found so far, but will take any recommendations!

I've been trained well so far in operating our BR275, however I'm looking to pick up on anything that can make my grooming better!

Welcome to the board, Dave! Things can be slow here, but there are a few regulars who are a wealth of information.

Enjoy your newfound passion! Once you're hooked, there' no going back! After multiple promotions, I keep sneaking as much cat time as I can. And when I retire... I'm retiring to the seat of a cat. :D
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby Shenanigans2800 on 31 Jan 2016, 18:30

admin wrote:
Shenanigans2800 wrote:Wanted to put out a friendly 'hello' to all that are active on this forum. I'm a career firefighter/paramedic with an intense addiction to skiing in the winter months. I work paid ski patrol by day, and a VERY green rookie groomer at night at a small resort in the Western Upper Peninsula of Michigan. I make lots of duty trades and use much of my vacation time to make this possible.

Welcome to the board, Dave! Things can be slow here, but there are a few regulars who are a wealth of information.

Enjoy your newfound passion! Once you're hooked, there' no going back! After multiple promotions, I keep sneaking as much cat time as I can. And when I retire... I'm retiring to the seat of a cat. :D

It certainly has turned into another passion of mine. I have similar thoughts once I retire from the whole firefighting thing. What better way to retire than to grab a great seat with a fantastic view!?!?

I've done quite a bit of heavy equipment operation in my time so far, but this has proved to be very challenging. REALLY enjoying it so far.

Thanks for the great site!
Dave - Shenanigans2800
Shenanigans2800

Postby Lohkarr on 13 Apr 2016, 21:07

Hi all!

I got my start in Lake Louise (AB) in 275s. Later was grooming Camp Fortune (QC) in a 275 and now working at Mount Washington on Vancouver Island where we run BR 350, one Sherpa 350 and PB400s. I just started running the whinch this year.
Alpine resort experience: F&B, lift ops, snowmaking, lift maintance, grooming.

I have browsed or read many threads here and will be coming back.

Having worked in many different industries through the years I came back to grooming because in all the jobs I ever had, this has more "I love my friggin job! Best job ever!" moments. So I made the decision to groom every winter I can for the rest of my life. Money be damned.
Lohkarr

PreviousNext

Return to General Snowcat Discussion