BR 350 CRACKS IN CHASSIS

Discuss troubleshooting and maintenance of Bombi, Camoplast, and Prinoth snowcats here.

BR 350 CRACKS IN CHASSIS

Postby Rchristian on 02 Mar 2009, 20:48

During a daily inspection I found two cracks starting, one on each side in the same place. Where the front crossbeam intersects with the frame rails, I also found cracks in the push frame mostly on the bottom where its hard to see. We are putting a plan in place to correct this problem now so we keep them at bay. You know, a little preventive maintenance now saves a bunch of money later. Keep a sharp eye an all the cross sections for rust trails. These are only a half inch on one side and about three quarters on an inch on the other but they will grow if we don't stop them now.
Bob
Rchristian
Mountain/Resort Management

Re: BR 350 CRACKS IN CHASSIS

Postby Beaverman on 05 Mar 2009, 10:45

May I suggest, if you can't get in there and weld the cracks right away, you drill a 3/16" - 1/4" hole through the frame at the end of the crack. This should stop it from getting bigger till you can weld them. It is a good idea to do it also when you do the weld repair. This will relieve the stress at the crack and make the weld stronger.

This trick works on sheet metal covers that begin to crack also. Just use a smaller drill (1/16" - 1/8")

Harry
Beaverman
Mechanic

Return to Bombardier/Camoplast/Prinoth Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting