MP Plus intermittent climbing/turning issue. Microprocessor?

Discuss troubleshooting and maintenance of Bombi, Camoplast, and Prinoth snowcats here.

MP Plus intermittent climbing/turning issue. Microprocessor?

Postby admin on 15 Mar 2014, 23:25

Any thoughts would be appreciated here... we're having trouble with one of our cabin/tour cats. I'll relate as well as I can the symptoms reported by the primary operators of this cat, since I haven't experienced this particular issue myself. Intermittently, it will slow down nearly (if not all the way) to a stop on a climb, and worse with a load. It seems like the pumps are destroking when they shouldn't. The hydraulic fluid temp buzzer will sound, even though the temp is normal. And sometimes a particular side will be worse. For example, it may become impossible to turn left because the right track will not respond. Shut the machine down for a couple minutes, restart, and all is normal with plenty of climbing power and normal steering. The problem may or may not present itself again that day. When you're transporting guests who paid a premium for cat skiing, telling them you may need to restart the machine a dozen times throughout the day isn't exactly ideal!

Very frustrating, and we've had Prinoth guys and mechanics from other areas look at it, and everyone is baffled. Replaced nearly everything short of the microprocessor. Pumps/motors check out fine. We seem to be left with the unhappy conclusion that the microprocessor must be bad. But to the tune of $6K, we really want to make sure there are no other options before we sink that kind of money into it. Especially since we just had to have an in-frame rebuild of the 8.3 Cummins in our other tour cat (not exactly an inexpensive job!).

Any ideas??? Could the microprocessor be overheating? Could there be something we're missing? Or are we stuck replacing the blasted expensive thing? If we need to replace it, does anyone have a lead on a used microprocessor?
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Re: MP Plus intermittent climbing/turning issue. Microproces

Postby mjolnir64 on 20 Mar 2014, 15:35

I was going to ask stick or wheel, but it doesn't matter if you've checked/replaced speed pots etc. which it sounds as if you have. Can't imagine looking at M.P. before that. Since it's both track's it's a common system/circuit. T.P.S.? Fluid flow i.e. restricted filter? Let us know what you find! Good luck!
mjolnir64

Postby Canadianbombar on 09 Jul 2014, 20:01

I was thinking the same thing....flow to the drives getting restricted somewhere. I also wonder if it isn't overheating and the temp guage is broken.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby admin on 10 Jul 2014, 10:03

We sent the microprocessor to Prinoth to flash. It won't take the program, so it's looking like electronics failure in the MP. Will update again when I have more info.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby Canadianbombar on 16 Jul 2014, 20:13

I would bet it is the MP. It typically always is once all the logical stuff has been ruled out. They only seem to last 5000 hours for whatever reason.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Return to Bombardier/Camoplast/Prinoth Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting