Br350 charging issue

Discuss troubleshooting and maintenance of Bombi, Camoplast, and Prinoth snowcats here.

Br350 charging issue

Postby jeffb on 03 Mar 2014, 23:56

Hey guys I am new to the forum and new to grooming and need some advise our snowmobile club has a 01 br350 we have put two new alternators in and new batteries still have voltage drop well below 24 volts an hour into the shift then like a flick of a switch the voltage jumps back to 26 ish and all the light get super bright ? Also it seems when the voltage is low we have a hard time climbing the cat pulls left and the right track digs a trench when earlier we could climb steeper with the tiller down ? Not sure the two are related but we are in the middle of restoring trails after 10' of snow in a week. Any help would be appreciated .
jeffb

Re: Br350 charging issue

Postby EvoII on 05 Mar 2014, 13:24

There is ground (-) issue on between motor and batteries. Check all groud cables and main power switch bolts/cabels.
EvoII

Postby admin on 05 Mar 2014, 14:50

Can't offer any useful advice, but just wanted to say welcome to the board to both you and EvoII. Hope you stick around and continue to contribute. Good luck troubleshooting.

Regarding your climbing trouble, doesn't seem like it should be related unless there's a voltage drop to the FNRs or something odd like that. But after 10 feet of snow, it's no wonder climbing is difficult. That volume of snow does funny things. Those of us grooming alpine trails can assure you that 10 feet of snow makes climbing nearly impossible on even very shallow pitches.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby jeffb on 06 Mar 2014, 01:03

Thanks for the advise guys I am heading up tommorow after work so I will check all grounds and clean them before we do grooming I will post back with the results
jeffb

Postby jeffb on 22 Mar 2014, 03:12

Well cleaned all cables and also added a large ground from alternator directly to battery charging issue is better no more low batteries or major voltage drops but still have a fluctuation in voltage and the lights jumping from bright to super bright it makes me wonder if there is a voltage regulator in the machine somewhere not just the one built into the alternator , also the more I drive the machine the more I notice it seems to apply more power to the right track than the left. Any advise would be appreciated .
jeffb

Postby admin on 22 Mar 2014, 10:17

jeffb wrote:Well cleaned all cables and also added a large ground from alternator directly to battery charging issue is better no more low batteries or major voltage drops but still have a fluctuation in voltage and the lights jumping from bright to super bright it makes me wonder if there is a voltage regulator in the machine somewhere not just the one built into the alternator , also the more I drive the machine the more I notice it seems to apply more power to the right track than the left. Any advise would be appreciated .

Still not sure about your electrical issue. But for you steering problem, have you calibrated the FNRs? Also, on your overhead display, navigate to the screens for the FNRs, and with sticks all the way forward, see if both are sending 100% command. That should tell you whether it's just a simple FNR issue.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby ward-o on 10 May 2015, 20:57

here's a few hot spots to check , take out all the hella double bulb flood lights front and rear and check for melted wires right at the rubber grommet in rear of fixtures. they tend to melt together where they are pinched by the rubber grommet and short out but won't actually blow the fuses. causes all kinds of intermittent ghost problems in the electrical system and we found them melted in 6 of our 9 br-350's. also pull the mirror heater harness plug out of the doors and bypass the white ground wire that always melts at the harness plug there as well. Then upgrade the 12/24volt convertor from a ten amp to a 30 amp convertor if you use a 2-way. the first ones were junk, and most radio's transmit at 10-15 amps alone. we even had a few altinator's with the wrong regulators on them, so check to see its not a RTV sealed regulator. New ones have integrated transistors sealed in at manufacture. lastly, ground your drivers seat arm rests & frames for static, sounds nuts, but our FNR displays were going crazy just from static electricity built up by the seat. remember it only takes a few milli-amps to effect the mp. & re-calibrate your FNR's often.
hope it helps,
ward-o

Return to Bombardier/Camoplast/Prinoth Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting