BR 400 bOGIES

Discuss troubleshooting and maintenance of Bombi, Camoplast, and Prinoth snowcats here.

BR 400 bOGIES

Postby sarge on 26 Nov 2012, 15:50

Hello, and thanks for letting me into your forum, My name is Ed and Im currently isolated at a fishing lodge in Northern Manitoba Canada. The nearest people are about 100 miles away and there are no roads. Since it is winter now there are also no resupply aircraft due in here until spring. I do have a dilemma with our BR 400 and need some professional advice. its year is unknown and its the only thing that runs here, everything else is in Ice age until thaw. the problem is that i have lost one of the rubber bogies ( i found lots of pieces everywhere) and the rim is still intact. there are track replacement sections here but NO bogies or tubes. Can I still run this machine without this bogie. I do seem to recall doing something similar in the military hanging up the idler arm. will this work? Do i have to remove the rim? The machine will Not be used on slopes and will NEVER have Hard turn left or right , just slow gradual. i need this vehicle for working on an ice road. Any information on this and the correct procedure would be greatly appreciated, thanks with all regards from Knee Lake,, Ed Lukosius ( I Do have tools here) i can also be reached directly by email at : edlukosius@hotmail.com :shock:
sarge

Re: BR 400 bOGIES

Postby cbender on 13 Dec 2012, 20:04

Once we establish that the bogie you are referring to is not either the front or rear most of the lot, here goes..

Though it would never be recommended, running with one of the middle bogies missing from the evener arm can be done with low probability of major damage. I have seen a bogie set on the BR400 that actually flipped over with the cat still running. Just watch for sudden transitions like ditches or logs and go slow and straight as possible. The risk is apparent in your environment, as a broken down immovable cat means you will be stranded out in the woods, not just a short ways from your local ski area vehicle maintenance shop. Maybe some sort of cobbed up retainer to keep the evener arm from going too far would also help. Best of luck and welcome to the community!
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Return to Bombardier/Camoplast/Prinoth Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting