PH 200 / PB Edge Motor oils

Discuss troubleshooting and maintenance of the Kassbohrer family of snowcats here.

PH 200 / PB Edge Motor oils

Postby csmitty58 on 11 Jan 2016, 14:35

Is anyone out there using Mobil Delvac 5w-40w in their cats. Peterson recommends a 15w-40, any thoughts? We are on our second turbo in three seasons and now have some scoring on the cylinder walls, would the Mobil Delvac 5w-40w cause that?
csmitty58

Re: PH 200 / PB Edge Motor oils

Postby admin on 11 Jan 2016, 20:21

csmitty58 wrote:Is anyone out there using Mobil Delvac 5w-40w in their cats. Peterson recommends a 15w-40, any thoughts? We are on our second turbo in three seasons and now have some scoring on the cylinder walls, would the Mobil Delvac 5w-40w cause that?

Welcome to the board! A few thoughts:

I wouldn't think running a 5w40 synth would cause that. What's your change interval? Is it the Mercedes powerplant? Any idea what the manufacturer specs for oil? We run Delo 400LE 5w40 synth in our newer machines with no problem. We do still run dyno 15w40 in the older cats, but mainly because it's cheaper!

You said you're going through turbos... is your air filter serviced regularly? Are your boots tight? If you're sucking particulate, it will ruin your turbo compressor wheel, and likely score your cylinder walls.

Do you allow the machine to idle for 5 minutes before shutdown? The turbo is often top-mounted, so it's the last component to get oil, and the first to drain. If you shutdown too hot, you can destroy turbo bearings really quickly.

Regardless of the cause, if you've got scoring, you might have to think about more serious service. You've probably already lost some compression. A rebuild/block sleeve will take care of that, but that's a big chunk of $$,$$$.

At the end of the day, I'd say something foreign is getting into the system. Definitely want to determine where the material came from that caused the damage. Check oil pump too... make sure it's not chewing itself up!
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Re: PH 200 / PB Edge Motor oils

Postby csmitty58 on 13 Jan 2016, 06:35

Peterson's in UT recommends 15w40 and feels we should change to that since our cats are getting up there in hours. That seems to go along with my father thinking with his truck fleet when I was younger. thanks for the come back. smitty
csmitty58

Return to Kassbohrer/Pisten Bully Maintenance, Repair, and Troubleshooting