30 inches in 24 hours....(!)

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

30 inches in 24 hours....(!)

Postby Tom400CFI on 14 Dec 2009, 20:02

We recieved at LEAST 30" here, w/in 24 hours. In some places, the new snow was up to my chest. Anyway, the new snow was on top of basically NO snow. So it was literally 30+ of bottomless, air filled, NOTHING. We got so much snow, so fast, Snow safety closed basically all the easy ways to the tops of our peaks/lift pods. My boss wanted us "track packing everything", and that was compounded by the fact that snowmaking and lift maint. couldn't GET to any peaks to check guns, lifts etc. I sent the Winch cat up (this was on yet-to-open terrain, by the way) to hook up and track the steeper pitches that were still open, snow safety wise. I didn't want to use a regualr cat, b/c it was so bottomless, a regular cat would simply strip anything remotely steep at all.

The problem was that the winch cat couldn't get up our double blue square run to get to the top to hook up. Wouldn't do it. There were two options to get to the top of this peak; one w/snowmaking going on, on it, and one that was 30+ of bottomless, no base, fresh. We knew there was no way the cat was making it up the bottomless run, so we tried the double square run w/snow making. This is a run BTW, that gets groomed every night (normally) w/free cats. We generally only winch on it for rebuilds. Anyway, our Op tried every climbing trick in the book, and it just wasn't happening. We were getting "denied" from one of our basic, regular peaks! Crazy.

Here's where the story gets good. Or not, depending on how conservative or agreesive you may be. I got another op in one of our 500's and had him try the same climb. "Punch a hole to the top", I told him...and he did. He made it to the top in about 20 minutes, with few problems with that bad-assed 5hundo. Then he came back down, turned around and I had the winch op hook the winch cable to the pintle of the 500. The 500 op then headed back up the run, pulling the winch's cable, as we payed out the cable manually. Just enought to prevent slack, but fast enough so as not to hold the 500 back much. The 500 charged to the top (again), then set his break. We then "Barred up" the winch to ~200 bar, and climed the run, no problem. Once at the top, the winch cat was able to hook up to it's proper anchor, and then get to teh job of track packing the insane amount of snow on our runs...thereby recapturing the hill from nature for our cats, and snowmobile travel! :)

It was somewhat unconventional, I think, but worked out, wicked good.
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Re: 30 inches in 24 hours....(!)

Postby troutriver on 15 Dec 2009, 00:43

Sweet! The 500 is big, but the fact is has less ground pressure than a 275 pays off in such a situation as you encountered!!!! Would have been cool to watch it. Do you ever yo-yo that machine off the Sherpa?? I bet that would work awesome in some situations.

I sure hope you got to ski in some of that pow!! Happy Holidays!!!
troutriver
Operator

Re: 30 inches in 24 hours....(!)

Postby Tom400CFI on 18 Dec 2009, 15:31

We've never done the "yo-yo" w/the Sherpa/500 combo...because we haven't needed to. The 500 will handle most steep terrain, about as well as the Sherpa does, when it's hooked up and winching. Running the Sherpa & the 500 together would be quite the combo, but I don't see it being a necessity....and it's a LOT of resources in one place. It would have to be a pretty special occasion to warrant that combo -much like the situation above.

I DID finally get some yesterday, and it was GOOD. Just the right density for my skies (narrow), and weight. I was in heaven, for a few minutes. :)
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations