Tools.

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Tools.

Postby infidel on 18 Nov 2012, 01:54

Hello all,

The boss has asked us to all have a tool kit with big Channel-Locks, a pipe wrench, a screwdriver, and a medium cresent wrench. I've got all that, but was wondering if anyone here has any suggestions for additional tools that could possibly save the day. I'd love to hear what the veteran operators are carrying.

Thanks,

Jesse.
infidel

Re: Tools.

Postby infidel on 19 Nov 2012, 13:00

I'm especially interested if anyone carries a specialized knife for freeing rope from the tiller. I have a feeling that I'm doomed to be spending some time back there hacking away...

Hook knives seem like a good choice as long as you're able to get the rope to the actual cutting edge.
infidel

Postby jy123 on 23 Jan 2013, 14:58

In all or cats we have similar tools you have listed. Any knife works for rope. If you get a snowmaking hose a serrated knife works very well.
jy123

Postby cbender on 01 Mar 2013, 16:32

I have opted for a vise grip chain wrench instead of the pipe wrench and channel locks. This saves weight on the tool kit plus I think they are kinder to the hydraulic fittings. I would also suggest a variety of small wrenches and torx/allen wrenches to help in the event of little repairs and running out of fuel.
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Postby cannon405 on 08 Mar 2014, 01:14

I also carry a couple good 3/8 chains 12 footers , a spare nylon sling 15 ton matches the one i hook up with at tree anchors on lower mt , good flashlight , cut down ( 8 in wide) narrow steel flat shovel really handy for final digging for winch anchors and whatever like cutting rope ski patrol ties thru the sling eye that is a frozen pus case - good rugged hammer , as well as common size wrenches and some adjustables - and yes def some kind of nasty knife - lol re rope and snowmaking hose in tillers - we sometimes burn em out with a torch if we can do it it without spoiling seals etc - ha pretty experienced crew this year havent had to deal with this much
cannon405

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations