Operator Training video

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Operator Training video

Postby dontrilla on 10 Nov 2008, 06:59

Does anybody have or know of a training video or cd on the "operating of a groomer on the hill".
THANKS
Don Trilla
dtrilla@shantycreek.com
dontrilla
Mechanic

Re: Operator Training video

Postby mtgroomer on 10 Nov 2008, 07:33

I got some stuff from NSAA a few years back. It was a video with a guidebook,it was made in 1994 .I do not know if it has been updated or if you can still get it. Your ski area has to be a member of NSAA and it cost about $250 or so.
mtgroomer
Operator

Postby cbender on 11 Nov 2008, 11:57

If your ski area is a member, here are descriptions of the two grooming training programs. The first is $5 and doesn't have a lot of meat, but is a good way to show the "passion" that some operators develop in this career.

Filmed at the 2005 NSAA Winter Shows, this fun 12 minute DVD produced by NSAA features interviews with competitors and judges of NSAA�s 1st Annual Phatcat Challenge. The DVD is designed to be used in orientation programs and as an introduction to grooming operations.

This next one represents the full-on training program and now costs $75. Though it is getting outdated, it is primarily designed to initiate group discussion during training sessions related to the important aspects of grooming operations like safety, product awareness, and machinery awareness.

This fast-paced video is a practical tool for grooming supervisors to use when training their staff. Important tips and suggestions shared are for grooming vehicle operations and maintenance. Whether used as a refresher course for returning employees or an introduction for new employees, the video is a cost-effective method to help insure that all of your grooming operators understand the basic techniques from start up through shutdown operations. The program includes a 19-minute video, facilitator�s guide and five reproducible student workbooks.

On a related note, if you were to help produce an updated training video for today's operator, what would it include? If we all provide enough commentary, I could bring it up to the education director at NSAA and see if they would start a re-write.
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Postby joshski on 05 Jan 2009, 18:13

I realize I am WAY behind on this response but your friendly local PistenBully salesperson has access to a basic operator training video. It goes over the pre-op checks, basic controls, a few tips on grooming, pushing, climbing etc. and some post-op stuff. It is done well and everyone I have shown it to has been very happy with it. If you are still looking for something let me know.
Josh Nelson
PistenBully New England
joshski
Manufacturer

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations