Joey wall or wall off snow!?

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Joey wall or wall off snow!?

Postby jy123 on 31 Oct 2012, 18:45

Not sure what other people call them but I am talking about a wall of snow on the edge of the trail that is as tall as the blade that stops the snow from falling off the trail. We use these on trails that have a hard fall line or where there is a large drop off the ski able trail. This stops the snow from going over the edge where we can no longer pull it back. Then come in and blade the snow off the wall and put it back. We only use these where people can not ski like drop offs and thick tree areas. But the new owners don't allow us to use them anymore because they say they are unsafe and stupid. Does any one else use this technique to stop the snow from going over the edge.
jy123

Re: Joey wall or wall off snow!?

Postby Tom400CFI on 03 Nov 2012, 21:39

I don't. I agree that they are unsafe for the LCD and I personally don't like the appearance component. I hear the reasoning behind it, and for sure, it would help accomplish snow retention. I feel that the benefits do not out weigh the draw backs, though.
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Postby jy123 on 04 Nov 2012, 16:39

After I wrote this I noticed the discussion has already been talked about. They called it curbing. This is a very talked about subject and there is no answer for this. I was just looking for other peoples view on this subject. Thank you.
jy123

Postby Canadianbombar on 04 Nov 2012, 19:26

It pretty much comes down to Liability. The more you "create" something with a cat....the more you're liable. If the skier skis off the trail into the woods and impales himself on a tree....it's not your fault. If a skier hits the "curb" and launches into the woods and impales himself on a tree is all your fault.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby jy123 on 05 Nov 2012, 18:29

Ya that make sense But that's also what the waiver is for when you buy the lift ticket. I understand both sides I just hate coming in at night and seeing all the snow over the edge and I have no snow to work with. This makes the trail have a steeper fall line and makes it implausible to cover rocks in the spring.
jy123

Postby Canadianbombar on 06 Nov 2012, 13:19

The waiver isn't worth the paper it's printed on...especially if someone has a "good" lawyer. If waivers were a blanket one could hide behind, Risk Managers wouldn't exist.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations