Winch catting

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Winch catting

Postby cbender on 30 Mar 2011, 10:55

This video clip is the new Sherpa winch on a Beast being demoed at Vail. About a dozen of us from various resorts were invited by Prinoth to check it out. Thanks to Joe, Justin, Jim and Greg from Prinoth for doing this. What a machine!! By the way, what are we all going to start doing with the other 6 hours of our shift if we get one of these? ;)
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Re: Winch catting

Postby truman on 01 Apr 2011, 16:55

looks like a regular cat. after having driven both brands for many years i would never trade a PB for a prinoth. we just had a bison demo for a couple of days and going back to using that remote and all the trouble you get into if the boom is frozen, seems like a step backwards. and besides who has roads wide enough for the beast to drive on... our roads were put in 60 years ago.

cheers
truman
truman

Postby cbender on 02 Apr 2011, 11:15

A couple of things that make this winch "new and progressive" for the Sherpa line is the "Wincontrol" automatic feature and the line tensioning system that activates when the rope is not under tension. The first allows the operator to be in several different winching scenarios during one pass and the winch self adjusts based on a variety of inputs. In our 300 PB winch you would have to dial down, then shift power range, then dial back up when you needed the extra pulling force. Apparently in the old sherpa, it was even more difficult.

The new tensioning system allows the lose line to be returned to the spool without birdsnesting or overwrap situations. Though I did not get to do the hook up, it also helps prevent problems associated with loose line there as well. I am not a salesman for Prinoth but I like cats that operate easily and efficiently and it seems that they are moving in this direction with the current changes.
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Postby Jimski on 03 Apr 2011, 18:38

Curt-
You ought to see if you can check out the 400 activ boom winch. It takes ease one step further. It has variable control (they did away with the 2.5, 4.0 ton and now you just roll from 0 to 4 tons at will), and it offers the activboom, which takes input from your sticks, and steers the boom for you as not to take pressure off either track. the result is being able to pull from a single pick point, and have improved steering of the machine wether the boom is inside or outside your mirrors. It has been impressing both pistenbully and prinoth operators alike. Pistenbully has offered the activboom since 2006 on the 600W, and has offered it on the 400w since 2008. The grab the hook and walk scenario is still the same on the pb as it has always been.
Bleed Red.
Jimski
Manufacturer

Postby cbender on 04 Apr 2011, 10:52

I have heard about the PB improvements, but alas, our region has not seen much in the way of red demos lately.
Curt Bender

cbender
Educator

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations