As much as I love skiing bumps, I just have to admit...

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

As much as I love skiing bumps, I just have to admit...

Postby admin on 03 Mar 2011, 10:32

...winching them is an awful lot of fun! Wait... did I really just say that? :shock: :?

I've been winching a bit of late. We groom the skiers' right side of "Cliffs" a few times a week. It's about a 27 degree pitch at the top. It hadn't been done for a few days, and with some fresh snow, it had started to bump up. So I ran the winch last night, and got to enjoy the dichotomy that is my life: as much as I love to ski steep bumps, I also love to groom them!

I'm sure a lot of you are well-accustomed to the benefits of winching, but this being my first season running the winch, I'm still impressed by the amount of snow I can move on this kind of pitch without any difficulty

And a blurry shot of the finished product (I was reaching the camera out the window while still pushing a little snow uphill, so I couldn't exactly focus on my photography :wink: ):

It ought to ski well today. If not, I'm never working that hard again. My supervisor (who has been grooming since long before I was born) said it looked like I was driving through a half pipe when the windrow was at its largest. Maybe I overdid it? Nah. Fun stuff. :D
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Re: As much as I love skiing bumps, I just have to admit...

Postby snowwizard on 03 Mar 2011, 19:57

Winching is a lot of fun. I agree taking out bumps is not fun, but some times it needs to be done. I know i've mentioned before on making bumps with the winch tractor. You can take out the bumps and then put them back in. Enjoy the art of grooming on a cable.
snowwizard
Operator

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations