Snow surfaces.

Discuss alpine piste grooming here.

Snow surfaces.

Postby snowwizard on 30 Oct 2008, 19:38

ENJOY! 5 by 5
Last edited by snowwizard on 17 Feb 2009, 18:53, edited 3 times in total.
snowwizard
Operator

Re: Snow surfaces.

Postby cbender on 03 Nov 2008, 18:25

Hey snowizard, I don't know from your profile what region you are grooming in, so what I about to say may not entirely answer your posted questions. I have groomed primarily in the Rocky Mountain west, and if we have found out one real truth in snow surface prep, it is that the more you groom it and ski it, the harder it becomes. At Copper, we like to stay off of the tillers until the groomers just can't stand the finished product any more. Our primary implement is a wonderful Pisten Bulley offering called the "Super Bar". We articulate off to one side which helps to break down any hard track or blade chunks while keeping one of the folding wings up (obviously to the ungroomed pass. This technique requires that all of your operators including the rookies become quickly adept at shallow surface blade dozing.

Regarding the other components of your question, especially wet snow/rain grooming, I would defer to my esteemed colleagues in California. Several guys including Todd Rudis from Heavenly came out and made a wonderful presentation on this at our Colorado Ski Country Snowmaking and Grooming conference last spring.

Otherwise, I've got a 2 credit hour course starting January 12th that will cover all this in detail... 8-)
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Postby snowwizard on 23 Nov 2008, 16:26

New snow on the way.
Last edited by snowwizard on 17 Feb 2009, 18:58, edited 3 times in total.
snowwizard
Operator

Postby cbender on 01 Dec 2008, 13:18

Dear snowizard, it's easy to see how you got to the final photo from the first, but what was the original surface and what process was used to get the "roughed up" look in the first photo? 8-)
Curt Bender

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of acreage is forgotten"
cbender
Educator

Postby snowwizard on 02 Dec 2008, 11:25

deleted
Last edited by snowwizard on 16 Dec 2008, 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
snowwizard
Operator

Postby cbender on 02 Dec 2008, 12:26

Crested Butte is the only ski area in Colorado that uses that implement. They absolutely love it when the snow gets hard from over tilling.
Curt Bender

cbender
Educator

Postby 737layincords on 15 Dec 2008, 18:06

we use mountain tillers here at killington as well, the way they rip up what could be confused with cement and gets beaten in by the tracks makes for a (usually) great substance to till in after. those chunks are most often the size of fists and smaller.

they also go out when we have resurfaced trails or receive some natural on top of the really hard stuff, it gets a deeper mix between the ice and dry snow particles than our tillers can get and often times comes out as a "packed pow" surface
737layincords
Operator

Return to Alpine Grooming Operations