5/10 Year plan

Re: 5/10 Year plan

Postby Micio on 04 Nov 2010, 10:23

Thanks for your 2 cents Todd, haha
Micio

Postby gunstocksnow on 21 Nov 2010, 16:13

if you want to become a groomer, please learn how to make snow as well. there is nothing more frustrating to me than a groomer that does not know anything about snowmaking. (asking why there is not enough snow on a trail yet when we have only been on it one night and it has been a 28 wetbulb temp the whole time) plus it will only help you out in the long run making snow at the mountain you groom at, you will get to see the trails before there is snow on them, so you can learn where rocks etc. are. plus knowing how to make snow and groom just makes you more useful to the mountain, and you can start working earlier. Where I started at waterville valley they only hire groomers from the snowmaking department. basically you had to earn the right to run a cat. it's different everywhere but I'm sure most places if you apply for a grooming job you could ask if there is a chance you could make snow before grooming starts. anyways thats my little bit,
gunstocksnow

Postby admin on 21 Nov 2010, 18:50

I agree with that sentiment, gunstocksnow.

I have found that my snowmaking experience and knowledge has come in extremely handy in the cat. I did not make snow for long, but enough that, coupled with my studies of the topic (at school and otherwise), it has been a great benefit.

I regularly let our snowmakers here know how much I appreciate what they do. I get the impression that there isn't always good blood between snowmakers and groomers at some resorts, so I want to make they know that we know that what they're doing is important, and not the easiest job on the mountain.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby Canadianbombar on 22 Nov 2010, 00:58

On the flip side...I do so love when you've just gotten a trail groomed to perfection and a gagle of not so bright snowmakers decide to race 4 wide up the middle of it :x
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby admin on 22 Nov 2010, 06:59

Canadianbombar wrote:On the flip side...I do so love when you've just gotten a trail groomed to perfection and a gagle of not so bright snowmakers decide to race 4 wide up the middle of it :x

Yup... that's definitely the other side of the coin. Drives me nuts.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to General Snowcat Discussion