GPS Tracking on Machines

GPS Tracking on Machines

Postby skigroomer on 05 Apr 2009, 18:00

Well this year the mtn. that I work for put in a GPS tracking system into each of our machines so they could watch how many acres, fuel, and our patterns. For some reason they think that we need to be watched. Its almost like wearing a ankle braclet at work so they know our every move. What do you guys think of this?
skigroomer
Operator

Re: GPS Tracking on Machines

Postby admin on 05 Apr 2009, 18:52

It's just another way to keep track of departmental efficiency metrics. Entirely unnecessary for a small fleet, IMO, but makes sense for a large fleet.

No need to be worried about it, unless you're taking those three hour naps facing uphill on a steep pitch ;)
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby skigroomer on 05 Apr 2009, 23:00

Patrick,
we only run 7 cats. And we also have mostly BR350's which tell us how many acres we groom each nite.
skigroomer
Operator

Postby admin on 06 Apr 2009, 00:12

skigroomer wrote:Patrick,
we only run 7 cats. And we also have mostly BR350's which tell us how many acres we groom each nite.

Strange, that's what I was just thinking. If you're running 350s, you've already got built-in tattle-tails. They tell just about all of that data, except patterns. Fuel, acreage (not accurate, though!), mileage, hours idling vs. op RPMs, implement time running, etc.

I suppose the only management "downside" is that this trip meter gives the operator the opportunity to "delete his history," or "clear his cookies," if you will.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby troutriver on 30 Aug 2009, 22:25

I have seen this in real time action watching from a laptop as the grooming was going on. Its technology that has been around auto racing, mining, fleets etc. for a long time. The ski industry is now picking up on all this a viable way to track costs as they look to streamline fleets, properly utilize machines and track any number of things from idle time to acres groomed for each operator. Yeah, it scary and the "big brother" thing sure detracts from some of why we all do this in the first place, but its coming, slow but sure. Any large fleet truck you see on the highway is already doing it. How long until its in your cat, who knows. Even with all the info, you still have the mother nature variables that change all the time and thus change the numbers.

The numbers are only as good as who is taking care of them.

http://www.isaac.ca/Downloads/Snow%20gr ... system.pdf
troutriver
Operator

Postby Tom400CFI on 31 Aug 2009, 12:51

skigroomer wrote:The mtn. that I work for put in a GPS tracking system into each of our machines so they could watch how many acres, fuel, and our patterns. What do you guys think of this?

I think it's only necessary (even in a large fleet) when you have a poorly managed fleet/crew. Inefficiency is easy to spot, and correct by the keen eyed manager, IMO...and micro managing the hell out of your crew, in the face of variables createdby nature...on a mountian....it doesn't make sense from a cost perspective. There are other ways to gather good enough data to "see" staff and cat performance, that are much MUCH cheaper. It just happens to be slightly more work for the manager.

skigroomer wrote:And we also have mostly BR350's which tell us how many acres we groom each nite.

Not accurately. That data is pretty meaningless to me. When you factor in sliding, digging up hill, and overlapping passes, travel routes...that data isn't much good.
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Postby troutriver on 31 Aug 2009, 21:34

I would agree with Mr. 400, the right manager knows, sees, skis, and adjusts the planning accordingly. Its a big old can of worms no matter if your the groomer or the manager.
troutriver
Operator

Postby WINCHCAT on 06 Sep 2009, 15:02

whats the cost of a tracking device?
a true groomer run with the yellow
WINCHCAT
Operator

Postby Tom400CFI on 07 Sep 2009, 12:27

Depends on the brand. One we looked at was a couple grand/unit, plus monthly fee.
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Postby admin on 07 Sep 2009, 12:59

Tom400CFI wrote:Depends on the brand. One we looked at was a couple grand/unit, plus monthly fee.

So any savings in efficiency goes straight to the tattle-tail! :lol:

Okay, maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration. But I definitely feel that a well-managed and supervised grooming crew is better. The tattle-tail devices might be installed with the best of intentions for increasing efficiency, but more than likely you will end up with an unhappy crew who feel like the boss doesn't trust them, and only cares about the bottom line (important as it may be). Better to focus (as a manager) on developing responsibility and work ethic, and maybe even tightening up hiring standards. I have always been adamantly opposed to the guest-first, or bottom-line-first philosophy. Employee-first. That is what works. Hire the best people you can, treat them well well, empower them, trust them (only as far as you can, of course), let them take responsibility. As a result, guest satisfaction and treatment will improve, overall image and brand recognition will improve, and (assuming a cogent operational model) the business will survive. That's an incredibly oversimplified statement, but sums it up, IMO.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to General Snowcat Discussion