4th of July Parade...

4th of July Parade...

Postby Tom400CFI on 05 Jul 2010, 17:42

HAPPY 4th!

Here is what we did...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POtzfwnhy_M

Yes, the Dave Matthews is coming from the cat :)
Tom400CFI
Mountain/Resort Management

Re: 4th of July Parade...

Postby Canadianbombar on 05 Jul 2010, 20:02

LOL....nice ;)

Did you fab the rubber tracks for the 350?? I know you can get summer tracks for the smaller nordic cats....I've never seen any offered for regular Alpine cats though?!
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby Tom400CFI on 05 Jul 2010, 21:13

I had never seen any either...but *thought* that I *knew* that they existed. They did. I think that they're made by Hans Hall, but not sure. Who ever makes them...they worked awesome. Super smooth, quite....nice. In fact, they ride better than regular Bomb steel tracks do on man made snow, IMO.

I think the coolest part was after the end of the parade, there was too much "parade traffic" to load the cat back up on the street, so we drove to where we COULD load it, w/o blocking traffic. THe cat pulled up to a 4 way intersection w/a light. Light turned green, and BRAA-BRA-BRA-BRAAAAAAAAAA, full sticks, 2200 RPM right down SR 224! Awesome. :mrgreen:
Tom400CFI

Postby Canadianbombar on 06 Jul 2010, 15:17

LOL...too funny on your highway adventure. They likely are Hans Halls and likely cost a pretty penny. Did she get hot? Are you planning on using the rubber tracks to use a cat as an on mountain service vehicle for the summer?
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby Tom400CFI on 06 Jul 2010, 21:15

No over heating issues at all. Cat ran perfect. As a side bar, last year we made drive adjustments to save fuel. To test the fuel savings, we put a 350 on our hill in July for about 6 hours straight, working it as hard as we could (w/o snow to push, obviously). The only thing that over heated was the operator, in that case! :D But the cat handled that fine, other than sucking a lot of dust into the air filter, etc.

We borrowed the tracks for the parade, so we have to return them. No summer mountain use for us. I'm fine w/that. I'd much rather use a Muskeg for summer work....now if I could only find a good one.
Tom400CFI

Postby Canadianbombar on 01 Sep 2010, 21:49

Nothing like the 2 month later response....must be summer.lol. Muskeg? How about the Bombi/Prinoth patrol? There are a few new ones around going cheap (80-90 grandish) as they don't seem to be selling well?? I ran a large IR vibratory today finishing a 4 acre lot I own that I will be selling trailers on....all the smoothing and leveling got me jonsing for some snow to do the same on.....even though it was a record breaking 34c out here! (94ish F) :o We have a hurricane hitting here this weekend too :shock:

What did you manage to squeeze out of a 350 with some tuning? I could get almost 12 hours out of the one I ran here on the east coast 4 years ago (a 04 with a C9) from overflowing to fuel alarm on for 15 mins. I had 2 PB 200's in my fleet last season that had some desperate maintenence issues....5 to 6 hours a tank. The tillers needed bearings etc and the mechanics/mountain manger didn't want to do $1000 worth of repairs to save $10,000 worth of fuel and $3000 to myself and my ops wasting time running back to the yard to fill up every 4 hours (fuel guages not working either). Not the way I would have done things if I had a choice.
Last edited by Canadianbombar on 03 Sep 2010, 12:38, edited 1 time in total.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Postby admin on 02 Sep 2010, 08:09

Canadianbombar wrote:We have a hurricane hitting here this weekend too :shock:

I've heard it could get interesting. Are they at least evacuating the tourists???

Hope you fair okay through the storm.
Patrick Torsell
Forum Admin
patrick@slopegroomer.com

Director of Marketing, IT, & Slope Maintenance
Ski Cooper, Colorado

admin
Site Admin

Postby Canadianbombar on 03 Sep 2010, 11:30

It doesn't sound like it's going to be too bad at this point. The track puts it up the bay of fundy and almost right over top of me...but all they are forecasting is for winds gusting to 90 km/hr...aka 50 ish mph....which is a joke....we get that here 10+ times a year...mostly in winter?!? I think it may end up being a little worse than that but it provides some comfort. Hurricane Juan did some major damage here a number of years ago and it's winds were something more like 150 km/hr sustained. No evacuations are occuring on any level. If this storm doesn't wreck much it's actually a plus as it will churn up and cool down the sea water which should effectively mean we can't get hit with another one for the rest of the year.
Canadianbombar
Operator

Return to General Snowcat Discussion